Thursday, February 5, 2009

Camera-less Filmmaking

I have had a decent experience making cameraless films up to this point.  The truth is, other than the majority of the projects I have done for Shannon, I have no never made a cameraless film.  The ones I made for Shannon were never very good.  I am not very technical at thing, especially filmmaking.  Now if we mean cameraless filmmaking in the way of not using any type of camera, digital, film, or HDV, well then I haven't made anything really except the little experiment we did on the first day of the class.  I would like to try that again because I didn't take it seriously enough to get an outcome I was pleased with.  I really want to try and make a film using nothing but wax but I don' think that would work.  The wax would probably ruin the projector and the wax would not be translucent enough to see through on film.  Last week was a ball.  I took a Xanax before class and was all over the place.  I was barely moving but I became focused on making a soup.  I had a medicine bottle for of discount migraine pills, listerine breathe mint strips, a leaf, and a pen full of ink.  The process became so fascinating and it must have been rude to be making during class, I am sorry but I felt like a little kid that found shit in the sandbox.  For some stupid reason, I played with that sandy turd and loved it.  In the beginning I took a pen and drew all over the pills.  I painted them royal blue with the ink from my pen.  I then took the side of a beer bottle cap and filed the pills down into a fine powder.  The powder was a beautiful blue.  I then would spit in the cap and lay a strip of listerine mint into the mix.  I stirred it would the end of a pen and it was fantastic.  I made the turd into a beautiful gem.  It smelled, but it was mine.  I'm pretty sure Rob wanted it.  He kept trying to take my stuff.  I think it was you Andre that told me to kick his ass, good advice.  Over the weekend I felt bad for what I had done and visited him in the hospital.  He acted up again so I spit on him. No harm, no foul.  We are friends again.  I went back and tried to make the substance sticker.  I know for a boy, you wouldn't think this would be hard and you know what, your exactly right.  I broke the pen and poured the remaining ink in the cap and mixed it.  I had to add about four pills to get the consistency right.  The mixture became hard and I wouldn't have to worry about dropping it.  I hadn't made a mess like that in days.  The table was covered in white powder, not what you think, and ink, exactly what you think.  I went to bathroom and got some paper towels and cleaned it up.  Although I left a little stain on the soap dispenser, which I hoped you would not see.  Don't worry, I went back today and someone had cleaned it off.  If it were you that cleaned it off, I'm sorry, I owe you big time.  I understand that if you let yourself go crazy with the chemical stuff you will died, see Stan Brakhage.  I was really impressed by the experiment we did in the black box.  I had no idea how easily light could effect film.  I knew you weren't supposed to expose it long but you just flipped the light on and off and it created something incredible.  That honestly is about it when it comes to my cameraless filmmaking.  Taylor and I are moving slowly but are extremely excited to see what we can created this weekend on our projects.  

No comments:

Post a Comment