Thursday, February 26, 2009

Scratch Junkies Dos

This project from the scratch junkies was hands down, incredible, baby baby.  I really enjoyed the rooms atmosphere to tell you the truth.  It was at the end of class, they are not short you know, and everyone wanted to leave and Andre started it up.  The music came on and the room immediately perked up.  Rob's lips were closed tighter than an old lady's purse.  I guess you could say that he was lost in the moment, like a wrinkle in time kind of deal but not as moving because it is Rob were talking about.The beat started and it got funky.  The coloring was amazing from what I can remember.  I can't seem to figure out how to get into the system for 6 x 1.  I hope you are getting these posts or I am fucked for the class.  The editing was quite funny when it lined up with the music.  The song was called St. Louise and the beat is totally tits, I dig it like a garden.  For some reason I thought that this project was much more fluid.  It just moved and was completely rhythmic.  I guess that is why you showed it to us before we had to do our rhythmic editing project, which I enjoyed doing last night.  The entire 6 x 1 class was in there and I think everyone had problems printing to video.  I looked up the scratch junkies on youtube.com and couldn't find much material.  Is there a third installment of the scratch junkies?  I found a lot of sound that had a nails on a chalkboard type of feel, but nothing worth watching.  I want in the scratch junkies gang.  I wonder if I screwed up would they scratch my throat, not killing me but severely annoying me.  Annoying me enough to the point of quitting, not before destroying all of their projects.  Although, I think they are great, I do find pleasure in destroying the progress of others.  It is funny to watch their faces change and go through the cycle of emotions.  The first project really didn't get me into scratching.  I knew it must have take a lot of time to do frame by frame.  Then I did one for myself and then I respected it even a little more.  Once I saw how little I had done in such a long period of time, I thought the scratch junkies were a little better than before.  Once I saw my work on a big screen, in front of my peers haha, well then I thought to myself, you have to be a special person to be a scratcher full-time.  I see myself doing more scratching in the future, in between projects and school work.  Film is so expensive that you better have a good idea of what you want out of it before you start scraping the emulsion from the strip.  This St. Louise project seemed to create a narrative with the rhythm.  It didn't say anything or tell a story, but I felt like it progressed and I was there with it.  Those are the experiences that are really worth having.  If I had to give a professional grade to the project I would give it a 90/100.  It lagged in certain sections, which is fine, slow stuff can be fun, Shannon taught me that, but I think it could have been cut down a little.  That's what the classes have taught me is that everything could be cut down.  Words are just words, they don't create the atmosphere, which creates the feeling, which is what you remember when the viewing is over.  The scratch junkies are alright in my book.  Writing about them isn't exactly easy because your opinion gets old after a while.  

No comments:

Post a Comment