Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Long shot

The long shot.  It is everything in narrative that I want to accomplish.  Orson Welles said that the long shot separates the men from the boys.  I was really really really excited to work on 16mm film for the first time.  Every single film experience has brought strange events.  I have never had film turn out quite as I wanted it 2.  It was raining, we were all ready for it.  We created a story around it.  The rain would add to the creepiness; the loneliness of the main character.  Taylor was going to be the DP and I the actor.  There was no need for a lot of direction.  My character would be drench in rain while carrying an umbrella.  To add the character he would have a high-step tip toe.  I wanted to make it look like the Cabinet of Dr. CAlligary.  Tyler thought I was being French which I don;t understand but whatever.  It was a lot of fun finding a location.  It just so happened to be right next to another group.  Our project was better haha.  Joselyn's group had a mean dance routine that had a resemblance to a good West Side Story.  They had a lot of fun playing in the rain.  We rehearsed and rehearsed until it our time was right around a minute.  We shot it at the last minute and laughed about all the time it took to do something so simple.  We ran in and developed the film and it was shit.  Useless and it was our fault.  Light is the most important aspect in cinematography and without it there is no picture.  Andre didn;t think it would come out and he was right, he always seems to be when it comes to my failures.  We had to do a reshoot after the two other groups were finished with their projects.  We had to do it off the cuff and it was shit.  I really hate DV but cant seem to do well with film.  I will do better next time by making sure I understand the F-stops and amount of light coming through the aperture.  Taylor is a good DP and Marcus is a good Dolly pusher.  I bet he could push some drugs, seriously.  I am really happy with the effort we made just not the results we had.  All the groups came out with something that was pretty good.  I can't believe that they are cutting 6 by 1 next year.  That is straight bullshit.  Everything will be digital video and a film degree is a lie.   Since using a dolly, I no longer want to do a static shot unless it is completely called for.  I am pretty sick now and I am not blaming it on the shoot but if I had to I guess I could.  I am glad that Andre gave us another chance.  If we only had more light, our first project would have been beautiful.  The crane shot was incredible but it didn't turn out.  The 360 degree arc was pretty amazing too but everyone thought we were doing a remake of The Dark Knight.  The animation turned out pretty well.  I can't decide which project I want to edit.  I guess the I will wait and see what Taylor wants to do because I trust her.  To get 600 words, I am currently listening to Ray LaMontagne and wearing only underpants and socks.  I am drinking Pepsi and recently had a bagel.  

No comments:

Post a Comment