Thursday, February 19, 2009

Sound Recording

The article by CHion is about how sound adds value to your project.  Ingmar Bergman, or whatever his name is, used sound to manipulate the emotions of the viewer.  This is called added value by Bergman.  I just bought a movie of his called Autumn Sonata.  After reading this article, I am a little worried that it will not be as enjoyable as Persona was the first time watching it.  Now I can't watch Persona without thinking of how sound adds the suspense and emotion to the image and isn't all that great to begin with.  This article, like most of the articles Shannon made me read really destroyed the films I thought were great before film school.  It is like reading a book when your a teenager and swearing it is the best book you will ever read.  This happens a lot with pop music as well.  You go back and read or listen to the piece of art ten years later and it is complete shit.  I want to bring up an instant this year where Shannon ruined by viewing pleasure.  I was in a theater watching Slumdog Millionaire.  The movie was pretty fantastic.  It draws a lot of it's visual style from Latin American film.  I was shocked to hear a bunch of people in the theater talking about how Indian it was and how they had never seen a picture like it before. It was completely fucking Hollywood in style except for the end where they dance.  The thing that bothered me the most though were the chase scenes.  Every chase scene there were drums and other instruments manipulating the emotions of the viewers.  I felt like a fucking puppet and had to find a way to get over it.  I have no idea who should win best director this year.  They are all good but none of them great.  I'm sure a lot of my other teachers really were blown away by the classical style of the films this year but after the tutelage of the Silvas I am becoming a little bit of a cynic.  I believe the movies were pretty good but none changed my life.  Give the credit where the credit is due.  A lot of hard work and innovated ideas went into the top films, but the constant layering of music underneath the image totally upsets me now.  Thanks Shannon.

1 comment:

  1. You are welcome Brad. Just think, now they can never say you're one of their sheep. Hah!

    ReplyDelete