Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Rough Theater

The Rough Theater is the roughest ass shit on da market son, fo shhow.  The Rough Theater is still theater, but it has an edge.  Ok Ok lets start from the beginning of the two page article and maybe I can get this right.  The author focuses first on the design of theaters and how they are all about allowing interaction with people.  People love theater for the meeting place to talk about poltics, culture, art, sex, alcohol leading to sex, needing sex and not seeming perverted, so it is basically like college with grown ups.  Architects come into major theaters and try to figure out what the perfect design could be and what will allow it to become the most successful.  I am not sure what is more prestigious, The West End or Broadway but I know some of the theaters on Broadway are beautiful and others are a little run down.  I really hope that I can stretch 600 words out of this small article but I will do my best.  Theater is not always rich people going to see renditions of William Shakespeare plays.  The article discusses the positives of rough theater in the back allies where bums do drugs and get hand-jobs and I frequent to catch them doing both...and sometimes participate but never uninvited.  Ok, so it is always the big plays like Avenue Q that saves the theaters and keeps butts in the overpriced seats but it is the small off beat theater that gives playwrights a chance to learn and build their arsenal and hone their craft.  I really love some off beat theater but a lot of times I go and I can't stand it but if you are serious and are willing to work then you deserve a chance just not always at the highest level until you have proved yourself.  One of my favorite movies is finding neverland and it is about the playwright that wrote Peter Pan.  He brought children into the theater and with them brought life to a dying art.  At the time it was really taboo and at first the regular trained theater goers did not like what they saw.  People get used to the safe stuff and do not want to pay hard earned money for stuff they might not enjoy.  Seasoned theater goers do not want to see actors that change their accents and moods to suit the mood of the audience which is sometimes an aspect of rough theater.  They did tests and proved that theater goers are trained to focus and find mistakes, they do not understand when things are not completely consistent.  First time viewers who were in this case jail birds had no trouble following the changes and loved when the actors played to the audience.  I am listening to Nick Cave and just watched a movie he wrote called the proposition and thought it as really good.  I am a sucker for Westerns.  I saw Oklahoma at the Hippodrome, an overpriced theater back home and liked it but was not thrilled with it.  It was well done but I would have loved to see something else if I had the choice.  Nick Cave is big into making soundtrack like music and got into music through rough theater.  Is this true?  probably not but I am trying my best here to make it stick.  Rough theater is the breeding ground of artists and sometimes the home of great art.  It is worth taking a chance and buying a ticket to small venues with good atmospheres, you could get laid which we all love unless you get paranoid of where people like that have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment